More on how to study and improve in chess by Purdy

C.J.S. PurdyA few days ago I wrote about two books I received from The Prodigal Pawn and I mentioned that a method od C. J. S. Purdy grabbed my attention. Simultaneously I promised to write about the method later.

So what is the base of the method?

All of know that playing games of chess masters (and grandmasters) is a good way to learn more about chess. Much better way is consulting games with chess masters. But really – how many times does an average chess player this chance in his/her lifetime? I do not count on those lucky who have chess master learning them in a chess club for example.

What Purdy suggests is this. Chose a game between two strong players. Play first 7 moves of the game and them play instead of the player who won the game (in case the game was a draw, you can chose any player to play instead of him). Hide all the next moves of the game (by a card for example) and start to play like the winner.

Think out of all your moves as you would be the real player of the game. Be precise in creating your plan and calculating all variants.

Play your moves without looking at “real” moves of your side from the game. Once you made your move on the board then slide the card over till the game move is exposed. If the move is different from your one, try to find why. Did you make a blunder? Selected another/wrong plan? But NEVER look at an annotation beforehand – it would destroy the learning purpose!

Look at the opponent’s reply immediately. It could help you to find where could be a problem with your move.

Repeat this until you “win” the game. And repeat it with many many games.

Of course, you can use clocks like in a real game. It would move your experience and training closer to reality.

You can addopt this method also in cases when you want to learn more about specific style. Personaly, I am going to play Karpov’s games according Purdy’s method as I need to improve in positional play. And Karpov is one of the best positional players of all times.

Have you studied games by this method? What is your experience with it? Or will you try it?

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 Responses to “More on how to study and improve in chess by Purdy”

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Manny , PetrS. PetrS said: New on elo2000.com: More on how to study and improve in chess by Purdy http://bit.ly/6CKOvc […]

2. farbror says:

I have tried the method a little. Replaying the games on using Fritz in parallell can be helpfull because it might help you to realize that the move you are suggesting might not be as bad after all! The important thing is to chase off the lazy worm and really analyze the position yourself before looking at the engine evaluation.

Ergo: I suggest replaying the game using a chess board and occasionally consult, say, Mr Fritz if you cannot find what is wrong with your own move.

Did that make sense?

3. tommyg says:

chessgames.com has a feature where you can practice using this method
    called Guess The Move. It is pretty cool!!

4. admin says:

farbror: Thank you for your comment.

I have a different opinion on your suggestion to let Mr. Fritz to help you finding your move. I am trying to chose a move in any position during training. It makes training very close to the real game when you have to move and not allowed to ask a friend or engine to suggest move at first.
    It really helps to try to find a move/plan in each position and especially in those ones where moves/plans are not visible at first sight.
    I know this way of chess training is harder ;)

5. farbror says:

Sorry, I was a bit vague! You should to all the hard work yourself but it could be usefull to ask Mr Fritz for an opinion on moves/positions where you find no flaws with “your move” which is different from the text move.

Training have to be hard to do any good and it should be as similar to the real thing as possible.

6. admin says:

farbror: I see you point now ;) Yes, this could be helpful. Especially when you don’t have a friend[partner who could explain the move/position.

7. Kathy says:

Hello! I want to say thanks for an interesting site about a subject I have had an interest in for a long time now. I have been lurking and reading the posts avidly so just wanted to express my thanks for providing me with some very good reading material. I look forward to more, and taking a more active part in the discussions here.

8. P.N.John says:

This is definitely one of the best ways me to improve your chess.Maybe its better to do the guess-the move with a
    books specifically designed for such an exercise like Jeroen Bosch’s
    The Chess Combat Simulator would be best.I do not have this particular
    book though I have books of this type by Keene,Buckley and King.

I have done only 2 games though from the books I have.Awesome is
    word to describe an Adams game I did with a friend from Buckley’s book.
    .I vividly remember a great Bishop move by Adams to give more options
    and that helped in the final tactical blow.